Thursday, July 16, 2015

around the farm week 27, 28


bunny hoping I don't come any closer

big, big potato

We dug up a volunteer potato plant that was shading out my lettuce.  Lots of red potatoes came off the bush, including this beast.  It got named George and sat on the table for a good week being admired.  Hunger won out Sunday morning and hash browns were had.


joi choi


basil

Gold Bar squash

sweet corn

enjoying greens

Due to my inability to keep my ladies out of my gardens and wrecking havoc, with a heavy heart I've had to keep them locked up this summer.  In order to keep them healthy and happy, I give them armloads of fresh greens every day. My daily goal is to give them more than they can eat. I love that they spend the afternoons usually stuffed to the beaks and snoozing on that day's leftovers.  It has also changed my perspective on weeds - I now see this as free chicken food, which is very exciting.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, "stuffed to the beak", great line, which I had written it! And "George" is that for King George? Potatoes are yummy when fresh looks so good. And we just had a very similar bunny in our yard a few days ago. Must be the time of year they get a good sunning. I imagine hiding all year in the underbrush gets tedious. The Basil is amazing by the bushel full, wow. Can almost smell it from here. Great to see the photos and the garden progress.

Momsie

James Zimmerman said...

George was inspired by Looney Tunes..http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI

James Zimmerman said...

George was inspired by Looney Tunes..http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI